Free PDF Worksheet Suitable for Classroom Use
The worksheet is one sheet front and back. It is suitable for classroom use and freely reproducible.
Aesop. "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"
A shepherd boy tended his master's sheep near a dark forest not far from the village.
Soon he found life in the pasture very dull.
All he could do to amuse himself was to talk to his dog or play on his lyre.
One day as he sat watching the sheep and the quiet forest, and thinking what he would do should he see a wolf,
he thought of a plan to amuse himself.
His master had told him to call for help should a wolf attack the flock,
and the villagers would drive it away. So now, though he had not seen anything that even looked like a wolf,
he ran toward the village shouting at the top of his voice, "Wolf! Wolf!"
As he expected, the villagers who heard the cry dropped their work and ran in great excitement to the pasture.
But when they got there they found the boy doubled up with laughter at the trick he had played on them.
A few days later the shepherd boy again shouted, "Wolf! Wolf!"
Again the villagers ran to help him, only to be laughed at again.
Then one evening as the sun was setting behind the forest and the shadows were creeping out over the pasture,
a wolf really did spring from the underbrush and fall upon the sheep.
In terror the boy ran toward the village shouting "Wolf! Wolf!"
But though the villagers heard the cry, they did not run to help him as they had before.
"He cannot fool us again," they said.
The wolf killed a great many of the boy's sheep and then slipped away into the forest.
Define Each Word
- slip (verb)
Write the Correct Word from the Vocabulary
- The Holstein cows grazed peacefully on the ___________________________.
- People who do not prepare themselves for a career may feel time ________________ away as they jump from one low-paying job to another.
- An itinerant musician played his __________________ on the street corner hoping that tourists would place tips in his upturned hat.
- With great stealth, the snake ____________________ up on the unattended nest and devoured all the eggs.
- The gardener _______________________ to her tomato plants by watering and fertilizing them regularly.
Comprehension and Discussion: Answer Each Question in Complete Sentences
- Why do the villagers fail to heed the shepherd boy's cry the third time?
- What do you think that the boy's master will do or say after finding out that many of the sheep have been killed by a wolf?
- What is the moral of this story, the lesson that you learn from the story?
"The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant
"Southern Horrors: Lynch Laws" by Ida B. Wells
From The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Narrative, From Chapter 1, by Frederick Douglass
I hope you found what you needed.
"The mind of the prudent acquires knowledge, And the ear of the wise seeks knowledge."