Free PDF Worksheet Suitable for Classroom Use
The worksheet is one sheet front and back. It is suitable for classroom use and freely reproducible.
Abraham Lincoln. The Gettysburg Address
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation, so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Define Each Word
- civil war
Write the Correct Word from the Vocabulary
- Cemeteries all over the world are considered ___________________________ resting places for those who have died.
- President Lincoln could have used "eighty-seven years ago," but the expression "Four ____________________ and seven years ago" makes for a dramatic introduction to The Gettysburg Address.
- For many years, my wife has _________________________ severe back pain because of the rheumatic fever she suffered as a child.
- The battalion commander knew that many of his troops might ________________________ if artillery was not provided as cover.
- In 2011 Libya suffered through a ________________________________ between forces loyal to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi and rebels who fought to depose him.
Comprehension and Discussion: Answer Each Question in Complete Sentences
- According to President Lincoln in the Gettysburg Address, what is the Civil War "testing"
- What is the purpose of President Lincoln delivering the Gettysburg Address?
"The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant
"Southern Horrors: Lynch Laws" by Ida B. Wells
From The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Narrative, From Chapter 1, by Frederick Douglass
I hope you found what you needed.
"The mind of the prudent acquires knowledge, And the ear of the wise seeks knowledge."