Free PDF Worksheet Suitable for Classroom Use
The Brothers Grimm. Fairy Tales. "The Fox and the Cat"
It happened that the cat met the fox in a forest, and as she thought to herself: “He is clever and full of experience, and much esteemed in the world,” she spoke to him in a friendly way. “Good day, dear Mr. Fox, how are you? How is all with you? How are you getting on in these hard times?” The fox, full of all kinds of arrogance, looked at the cat from head to foot, and for a long time did not know whether he would give any answer or not. At last he said: “Oh, you wretched beard-cleaner, you piebald fool, you hungry mouse-hunter, what can you be thinking of? Have you the cheek to ask how I am getting on? What have you learnt? How many arts do you understand?” “I understand but one,” replied the cat, modestly. “What art is that?” asked the fox. “When the hounds are following me, I can spring into a tree and save myself.” “Is that all?” said the fox. “I am master of a hundred arts, and have into the bargain a sackful of cunning. You make me sorry for you; come with me, I will teach you how people get away from the hounds.” Just then came a hunter with four dogs. The cat sprang nimbly up a tree, and sat down at the top of it, where the branches and foliage quite concealed her. “Open your sack, Mr. Fox, open your sack,” cried the cat to him, but the dogs had already seized him, and were holding him fast. “Ah, Mr. Fox,” cried the cat. “You with your hundred arts are left in the lurch! Had you been able to climb like me, you would not have lost your life.”
Define Each Word
- cheek (as in "cheeky")
Write the Correct Word from the Vocabulary
- Mr. and Mrs. Smathers were quite proud of their _____________________ home; it did not have many electronic gadgets but it was sturdy, strong, and full of love.
- The farmer was charging too much money for the ____________________ horse with the lacerated eye.
- The defense attorney exhibited great _______________________ by waiting until the end of the trial to produce her star witness.
- The medical staff held Dr. Wolfe in high ______________________ because of his commitment to his patients.
- The history professor thought that the graduate assistant was quite ____________________ in his refusing to grade the freshman exams.
Comprehension and Discussion: Answer Each Question in Complete Sentences
- Why does the cat speak to the fox in a friendly manner?
- At the end, does the cat seem to feel sorry for the fox? Why or why not?
"The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant
"Southern Horrors: Lynch Laws" by Ida B. Wells
From The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Narrative, From Chapter 1, by Frederick Douglass
I hope you found what you needed.
"The mind of the prudent acquires knowledge, And the ear of the wise seeks knowledge."